Saturday, October 20, 2012

Amanda Friedman @ Eli Ping Gallery


Amanda Friedman @
Eli Ping Gallery
131 Eldridge Street
New York, NY 10003


Opening Reception:  Sunday, October 21, 2012, 6:00 PM









RELEASE

    I begin on the floor. I emphasize the imperfect ripples of the surface landscape and layer breath, trying to create oneness, absorbing a felt shape. I activate and float the paper, allowing it to explore negative space. Scale, contour, movement stages, capture, and allow a battleground. I question linear time.
    Feelings are weighty, textured; they hang in the atmosphere. They knit together a sympathy upholding daily life.
    Inside, outside, back, front, around, through. I am hysterical!!! There is more, but we can talk and walk across it now and later, again.
    The title of this series, "Thought-forms" comes from the 1901 theosophical text by Annie Besant and C.W. Leadbeater, outlining a mystical visual vocabulary of concrete emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment